Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy 2009!
















I can't believe that Christmas has come and gone! We had a blast. We spent Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with John Sidney's parents and grandmother. This was such a fun year for John Riley. He was really excited about Santa and even said "I saw him in our living room! He told me- "Ho! Ho! Ho". He was pumped because he had seen this huge garbage truck in the aisle at Walmart and had his heart set on that for the past month. Anytime someone asked him what he wanted for Christmas he would answer without any hesitation- a garbage truck. Well- he got it and he has rolled it around the living room picking up every scrap of paper he can find to put it in his truck. I hope every year it is this easy to please him!
Wow! He has really become a strong personality lately. I always had a remark on my report card growing up about playing well with others and not being so bossy. I had hoped that he would inherit his dad's laid back style but I think he is going to pretty assertive. He has a voice that he feels "needs to be heard". Here is a sample of a conversation with him these days...
Me- "Riley, we have read 25 books and told enough stories. It is time to go to bed."
Riley- "One more story" (holding up a chubby little finger)
Me- "No more stories. Go to sleep."
Riley- "One more story."
Me- "Go to sleep, Riley." (I leave his room.)
Several minutes later....
Riley- "Daddy!"
John Sidney walks into his room with me close on his heels.
Riley- "Daddy- tell me a story."
Me- (interrupting this exchange)- "No sir- I just said no more stories. This has been going on an hour and it is time to go to bed."
Riley- (whips his head around, squints his eyes and says...and I am not exaggerating this.....) "I was not talking to you. This is between me and daddy."

He has a recent fascination with The Polar Express movie. I bet we have seen that "Hot Chocolate" scene 300 times over the holidays. Since we have moved him to his "big boy" bed, you can hear the door to his room slam at about 2:30 every morning then you can hear the pitter patter of little feet. He walks into our room and starts asking to watch Polar Express every single night. Of course, we say no then he starts saying "Well- I'll watch it ALL BY MYSELF." (This is another favorite phrase lately- along with "No talk to me"- translation: I am busy and cannot be bothered. "No sing momma"- translation: You have a horrible singing voice and others will be polite and not tell you how bad your singing can grate on the nerves but I'm 2 and have not learned manners yet. "We get that at Walmart"- translation: We go to this store what seems like every single day so it must be the place where we can find any item that we cannot find that moment. "You want some?"- translation- This one is my favorite because it shows what a sweet good spirit my sometimes bossy little boy has. No matter what he is eating and even after he has taken a bite out of it, he will hold it up in his hand and try to share it. ) So I won't call him bossy anymore, I will think of him as a leader who likes to delegate duties to others. It just sounds nicer to put it that way! It was a great year and I can't wait to see what blessings lie ahead. God bless all of you!
Happy 2009!


1 comment:

Cristi said...

I remember when my little boy loved garbage trucks too. When they would drive down the street he would run to the front door to watch them and always said when he grew up he wanted to drive that truck. LOL He is 17 now and his aspirations have changed. Yours will be 17 before you know it.

Balloon Glow 2009

Riley's 3rd Birthday Party

KidsFest 2009

Stone's Fishing Party

The Zoo

Getting Riley's "Tonkles" Out