Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Favorite Children's Books

I haven't blogged in forever.  It is always on the endless "things to do" list.  However, the other night I was reading a magazine and it listed the 100 Best Children's Books of all time.  I started really thinking about the books I have loved.  I figured that after 17 years of teaching, I am pretty qualified so I decided to make my own list.  I am sure that I am leaving so many great ones out and I plan to add to my list as I think of new ones.  I have been reading "chapter books" to JR at night and it is just such a special time as we share some of the same stories my mom read to me when I was little.  I read a book called The Reading Promise about a father and daughter who made a vow to read every night for 100 nights and then decided to keep their streak going.  It lasted until she went to college.  It was just a precious book and it inspired me to make my list of books that I want JR and I to share!

So this is my list.  If any of you know of any great ones that we should read, please let me know!



These are certainly not listed in any particular order!

1. Love You Forever

2. The Giving Tree

3. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See

4. The Very Hungry Caterpillar

5. The Rainbow Fish

6. Goodnight Moon

7. The Polar Express

8. Green Eggs and Ham

9. The Cat in the Hat

10. Where the Wild Things Are

11. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

12. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

13. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

14. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

15. The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

16. The Lorax

17. Charlotte’s Web

18. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

19. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

20. Shiloh

21. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

22. Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon

23. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

24. Harry Potter Series

25. Junie B. Jones Series

26. Llama Llama Red Pajama

27. The House That Jack Built

28. The Stinky Cheese Built

29. Are You My Mother?

30. Because of Winn-Dixie

31. Tuck Everlasting

32. The Lightning Thief

33. Giraffes Can’t Dance

34. Diary of a Wimpy Kid

35. There’s a Boy in the Girls’ Bathroom

36. Dog Heaven

37. Elmer

38. Pete the Cat

39. Pollyanna

40. Pippi Longstocking

41. Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiener

42. Okay for Now

43. The Poky Little Puppy

44. Holes

45. The Tale of Despereaux

46. The Kid in the Red Jacket

47. Diary of a Worm

48. Bridge to Terabithia

49. Hilda Must be Dancing

50. The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

51. Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life

52. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

53. George Washington’s Teeth

54. Click, Clack, Moo

55. When Charlie McButton Lost Power

56. The Hundred Dresses

57. Rumble in the Jungle

58. The Big Orange Splot

59. The Important Book

60. Chrysanthemum

61. Pumpkinhead

62. The Wizard of Oz

63. Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

64. Dear Mr. Blueberry

65. James and the Giant Peach

66. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

67. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

68. Pink and Say

69. Thank You, Mr. Falker

70. Sleeping Ugly

71. Number the Stars

72. Parts

73. Knuffle Bunny

74. Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving

75. A Bad Case of Stripes

76. The Pout Pout Fish

77. George’s Marvelous Medicine

78. I Wanna Iguana

79. Knucklehead

80. Prancing Dancing Lily

81. I Can Read With my Eyes Shut Tight

82. Now I Will Never Leave the Dinner Table

83. Humpty Dumpty Climbs Again

84. The Wish Giver

85. Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

86. Matilda

87. The Secret of the Old Clock

88. Waking Up is Hard to Do

89. The Little Red Hen

90. The Gingerbread Boy

91. The Gingerbread Girl

92. Ruby the Copycat

93. Trixie Belden Series

94. 39 Clues- Maze of Bones

95. A Fine, Fine School

96. Hooray for Diffendoofer Day

97. The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear

98. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

99. Where the Red Fern Grows

100. The One in the Middle is a Green Kangaroo

101. Miss Rumphius

102. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

103. 13 Treasures

104. Frindle

105. The Great Gilly Hopkins



No comments:

Balloon Glow 2009

Riley's 3rd Birthday Party

KidsFest 2009

Stone's Fishing Party

The Zoo

Getting Riley's "Tonkles" Out